Earth-friendly food 🌏 🌏 🌏
Just under 4% of food items in our sample carried certification that the animals used towards those products were raised humanely. The majority of this value, 59%, comes from eggs from Wilcox Farms in Roy, WA. The remaining 41% of Humane food was dairy. None of the meat or poultry purchased by the University were certified Humane.
so what's next? The Campus COmmitment
This is a document that pledges to raise UW to 25% Real Food procurement by 2020. With sustainability and social awareness as priorities on campus, and the whole of the Northwest at our fingertips, we know we can reach 25%! The commitment also includes forming a collaborative group of students, administrators and staff, to share our knowledge and voices in order to create a food system that is ecologically sound, fair trade, local/community based, and/or humane. Lastly, this calculator would be run every year in order to keep up with the university's progress towards our goal.
What do you think about the Campus Commitment? The calculator results? Food at UW in general? We want to hear your voice! Click below!